Friday, December 21, 2007

Learning tunes

My husband runs a website development company so he's a bit of a tech geek. But I can't blame him for making fun of me when I break out my tape recorder, (yes, you heard it right - tape recorder) to learn tunes. In this day and age with the advancements in technology you would think there is a better way to learn tunes.

There are different types of computer software, such as Transcribe and The Amazing Slow Downer, that take the tune and slow it down without changing the key so you can learn it right off your handy dandy laptop. However, if you're heading to a session and you want to learn the tunes that your peers play, you can't really break out your laptop to record. That's where my little tape recorder comes in.

I have a hard time learning tunes by ear when they are racing at lightning speed. I'm one of those fiddlers who has to learn every single little note before I consider the tune complete. So for me I have to tape the tune and then go home and listen and try to learn it by hitting play, stop, rewind, play, stop, rewind...

I guess my point is, with technology growing so rapidly, there are still some old fashion ways of doing things. How do you learn tunes?

1 comment:

MOLLIE'S MOM said...

Hi Katrina,
I use my handy dandy digital recorder as well. I can slow it down ( I discovered this accidentally one day while practicing. you can imagine the horror on my face when I heard my instructor speaking to me in a very slow groan at the end of the song). However, as you know, slowing the recording down on those recorders changes the octave a bit. So, I just play the song on my computer, MANY times, until I get the song in my head and then I attempt to tackle it measure by measure. They say that if we practice anything 30 times we will have 'learned' it. Yeah, right. Lizzie