Signs that your instrument is too dry:
• Pegs slipping and/or strings loosening
• Seams beginning to unglue
• Action changes causing a buzz when played
• Cracks begin to form
Though winter can take a toll on your instrument you can prevent your fiddle from suffering the winter blues by following these winter rules:
Winter Care for your instrument
- Use a case humidifier. At about $12 per humidifier, this is an affordable and highly effective way to protect your instrument.
- Use a room humidifier. Not only is it good for your complexion but its great for your instrument. An instrument prefers to be kept at a humidity level of 40-50%.
- Store your instrument in a moist room of the house. This means keeping it away from heaters, fireplaces, wood stoves or anything that could dry your instrument out.
- Don't leave your instrument in a freezing car. You don't like to be left out in the cold, neither does your instrument.